Basil leaves must be continually harvested and pruned to avoid flowering, once basil plants flower or bolt, they start to lose their flavor. Pruning basil also produces larger and bushier plants. I will use this basil to make a jar of pesto for my mozzarella and halloum sandwiches.
There are hundreds of pesto recipes online, I like to use a very simple one. I like to add ground flaxseed for omega 3 and some almonds for vitamin E.
Basil Pesto Recipe:
• ½ a clove of garlic, chopped
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 good handfuls of fresh basil, leaves picked and chopped
• a handful of pine nuts, very lightly toasted
• a good handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• extra virgin olive oil
• a small squeeze of lemon juice